Family Focused. Solution Oriented.

Resolving family law matters while preserving family relationships.

Parental Relocation Attorney in Central Texas

Finding a Solution to Post-Divorce Disputes

There are a number of forces outside our control that can compel us to move to a new place. When the children of divorced or unmarried parents are involved, legal restrictions can complicate things: Both parents have the right to have access to their children.

If you are a divorced or unmarried parent and wish to move, or if you oppose the move of your child’s other parent, we can help. Attorney Tim Whitten has practiced since 1992 and has been certified as a Family Law Specialist by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

To schedule an appointment to discuss parental relocation, call us today at 512-478-1011 or contact us online. We help families from all backgrounds resolve their family law disputes in a way that diminishes conflict and always keeps the best interest of the children in mind.

Restrictions on Parental Relocation

If you and the other parent of your child are divorced, then your divorce settlement may contain restrictions on where either spouse can move. Similar restrictions may also apply in the case of unmarried parents. This can cause serious problems if either parent receives a promotion or wants to move closer to family for help raising the child. In many move-away cases, our Central Texas family lawyer can help you petition the court to have residency restrictions removed. Courts tend to be reluctant to remove residency restrictions, however, when both parents are highly involved in the children’s lives. It is for this reason that relocation cases are often best suited for alternative dispute resolution methods, like collaborative law and mediation.

Even if there are no restrictions, parental relocation will still trigger the need for divorce modifications to the child custody order: The non-custodial parent’s visitation rights will be seriously impacted if the custodial parent moves across the country. As a result, even when there are no restrictions, the non-custodial parent often has the right to file an order to prevent the custodial parent from moving.

If you have questions about parental relocation, schedule an appointment to meet with our attorney at The Law Office Of Tim Whitten, P.C., by calling 512-478-1011.

Why Hire Our Friendly Attorney?

Crafting Creative Solutions For Families In Your Community

Family Law Specialist

Collaborative Divorce as an
Alternative Resolution

Committed to Preserving
Family Relationships

Contact Us Today

For a Confidential Consultation

Contact Us


7500 Rialto Blvd., Bldg. 1
Suite 250
Austin, TX 78735
Map + Directions

Family Focused.
Solution Oriented.